A steam mop is a mop that makes use of steam for cleaning carpets and floors. The steam mop is different from the regular mop. Unlike the regular mop, the steam mop utilizes steam that is generated from steam for disinfection purposes of floors, whereas the regular mop requires cleaning agents. Well, still some people prefer traditional methods of cleaning rather than adopting easy, efficient methods for cleaning. Therefore I have brought this article on Tips and benefits of using a steam mop to raise awareness among people to adopt steam mops for cleaning purposes.
- 1 Tips And Benefits of Using a Steam Mop
- 1.1 What is a Steam Mop?
- 1.2 Tips for Using Steam Mops
- 1.3 Benefits of Using a Steam Mop
- 1.3.1 1. Elimination of Smells that are the Results of Chemicals and Man-made Odours
- 1.3.2 2. Almost Instant Drying
- 1.3.3 3. Eliminates the need to Crawl on Fours to Brush the Floor Surfaces
- 1.3.4 4. A thorough Clean Leaving the Floor Shining and Looking Freshly done
- 1.3.5 5. Elimination of the need to Throw away Dirty Water
- 1.3.6 6. Elimination of Bacteria in Homes
- 1.3.7 7. Portable Nature
- 1.3.8 8. Pet and Children Friendly
- 1.3.9 9. Steam Cleaners are Cheaper in the Long Run
- 1.4 Conclusion
What is a Steam Mop?
Heat is of crucial importance to the steam mop. Heat makes the bonds weak that exist between dirt and the different areas that it has stuck to. The second item of crucial importance is dry steam. Dry steam is defined as steam that has moisture but lacks water particles. The dry steam makes it easier for wiping, scrubbing and rubbing clean dirt.
The steam mop has a pad made from microfibre that is positioned under the steam jet for purposes of dirt trapping. In addition, the Steam Mops have a water tank attached. The steam mop works through boiling water to close to 240° Fahrenheit inside the water tank. The steam is then used to make the microfibre mop moist, an application that is useful for drawing dut off the floor. The heat generated from the steam mop has the capacity to kill most of the bacteria in addition to mites that live in dust. In addition, the steam mop is capable of disinfecting floors, restoring shine, killing dust mites and removing a number of stains.
A steam mop is effective due to the nature of its microfibre pads, they are porous allowing steam to penetrate the pores getting to the dirt. Steam mops can be used to clean windows, mirrors, screens, glass doors, bathroom, kitchen floor, and surfaces, removing spots on wooden, carpets, tiles, ceramics, and removing pet smells and stains among others.
Tips for Using Steam Mops
The following are tips that are useful while using the steam mop
1. If steam gets to the naked skin, it can lead to painful burns. A burn that is caused by steam is called a scald. This type of burn could damage the skin since it destructs the tissue and cell state of the burnt position.
These burns could even put the body of the individual into shock, whereas in other cases, the results could be life-threatening. To prevent these kinds of burns, one should ensure that they use protective clothing while using the steam mop.
It is useful to have clothing protecting bare parts of the skin that are exposed to the steam to avoid burns.
2. The next tip is to avoid attaching the steam mop to the socket before the attachment of the mop. The steam mop gains heat very fast, if the mop foot is too hot, it could result in burns and in other cases electrical shock if one tries attaching a wet cloth.
One should consider taking their time to fill up the water tank, unwrap the cord and fix the mop cloth prior to putting the steam mop into the plug.
3. In addition, when the reservoir requires filling during steam cleaning, one should first unplug the steam mop, refill and then plug it back.
Avoid, leaving the steam mop in an idle position. When an urgent situation arises and you have to leave the mop and attend to the situation, an example being a phone ringing, ensure that you plug it out.
If you do not plug it out, the heat could build up and result in damaging the area of the floor that has been exposed to the heat.
4. The fourth tip is to ensure that you vacuum the floor before using the steam mop. Skipping the vacuuming process leaves dirt on surfaces, dust, and hair which could be picked up by the steam mop.
This hinders the ability of the steam mop to do an effective job. Using the steam mop after skipping the vacuuming process results to the user having to change the mop cloth often.
You can also read “how to clean steam mop pads“. It would be useful for you.
5. The fifth tip in the manner of using the steam mop is to ensure that only water is put into the water tank. Only a few models of the steam mop have the capacity to hold anything else but water in their tanks, most of them, however, are designed only to hold water alone.
It is useful that a new owner of a steam mop reads the manual to ensure that they use their machine for the correct purpose.
6. The sixth tip for all of you is avoid cleaning using a mop cloth that is dirty. As a person, one could incline to the idea of using only one mop cloth even when dirt builds up, to ensure that a large area is cleaned in a short amount of time.
However, using a mop cloth that is dirty is only meant to spread the dirt around instead of properly cleaning the floor.
Ensure that you have a spare mop to use when the need arises. While cleaning the entire house floor, the mop could get dirty faster in comparison to when cleaning a single room.
It is therefore important to have a spare steam mop pad that you could change when the other gets dirty.
7. Also, remember to disconnect the steam mop from the socket before changing the mop.
8. Lastly on the tips, avoid using the random steam mop on hardwood or laminated floors. Many of the hardwood floors have a polyurethane finish that is moisture resistant. The finishing, however, does not bridge all the hairline gaps on the wood.
This is detrimental as it exposes the wood to water droplets, like in the case of the steam mop. Eventually, this practice is likely to destroy the integrity of the floor and even the aesthetic beauty of the wood.
Benefits of Using a Steam Mop
1. Elimination of Smells that are the Results of Chemicals and Man-made Odours
It is a human instinct to want their home to have a fresh smell and remain clean. It is, however, unfortunate
that many of the manufacturers incorporate chemicals and manmade odors that are invasive to personal
spaces into their cleaning devices.
In accordance with a traditional belief, a place that smells of bleach and ammonia is seen to be a clean place. This belief of the smell of ammonia and bleach smell has led to manufacturers incorporating the smells into their artificial smells. The steam mop, however, does not require all the man-made odors.
Benefits of using a steam mop also include when to clean houses gets one realizing how a clean home gets to smell, without the use of the crude chemicals that invade the personal space.
Steam mops, as stated earlier have the capacity to penetrate into the pores of most floors resulting in a more efficient method of dirt and bacteria removal with only steam and not the stubborn chemicals.
The steam mop is a convenient item for people who suffer from allergies or those that have sensitivities to smells that come from cleaning products as it offers the opportunity to remove bacteria and dirt by only using clean and pure water.
2. Almost Instant Drying
One of the other major benefits of using a steam mop is in situations where a person uses the traditional floor for purposes of cleaning the floor or using a scrub brush for scrubbing dirt of the surface of the floor, the floor takes quite an amount of time to dry. The steam mop, however, is different.
The steam mop allows one to get back to their chores almost in an instance as the floor gets to dry up faster in comparison to the regular mop.
The capacity of breaking down dirt and killing germs with little water comes from the steam that is generated from the hot pipes in the mops.
Using lesser water results in much less moisture on the surface of the floor in comparison to the regular mop, allowing the floor to dry in a speedy manner.
3. Eliminates the need to Crawl on Fours to Brush the Floor Surfaces
Many times few of individuals are not happy to get on their fours and get cleaning the floors using a scrubbing brush. It is, however, the most common method of dirt removal among the regular cleaning methods.
Using the steam mop allows an individual to stand on their twos and clean the floor without having to kneel down. The steam mop is also useful for people who have back problems and cannot bend a lot since the cleaning process takes place when one still standing.
This is also one of the major benefits of using a steam mop for those people.
4. A thorough Clean Leaving the Floor Shining and Looking Freshly done
If you are an individual who has used a traditional mop for cleaning the floor, it is likely that you have the concept of the almost white film that the mop leaves after the floor has dried up. The whitish film results from the cleaning agents being left behind on the floor after the cleaning process.
5. Elimination of the need to Throw away Dirty Water
Throwing away the dirty water after a cleaning job is one of the least pleasant things that result from a cleaning process. There are two reasons for worry for the disposal of the dirty water.
One of them is the possibility of the dirty water dripping on the floor that has been cleaned, adding dirt to it and germs while in addition, there is the second worry that results from wondering where to dispose the dirty water.
When you decide to dispose the dirty water into the sink, then, a new bunch of problems arises as you have to dedicate time to how clean the sink. One of the most tiresome things to do is cleaning the sink after you have been spending time on fours cleaning the floors using a scrubbing brush.
Main benefits of using a steam mop are to clean the various surfaces which results in an elimination of the above problems.
The steam mop only uses clean water that is odorless to clean, unlike the traditional mops where one had to end up with dirty, smelly water after the cleaning process.
6. Elimination of Bacteria in Homes
Since the steam mop utilizes hot steam for cleaning purposes, it has the ability to eliminate the bacteria that breed and live on the various surfaces of homes. Some bacteria are useful for human survival, but then there are the deadly ones that one would not wish for them to breed in our homes.
Steam mops have the capacity to reduce the number of bacteria that live in our homes through heat. In fact, steam mops eliminate around 99.9% bacteria and germs and help us to make our homes more hygienic. The bacteria do not have the chance to survive the steam and evaporate in an instance.
7. Portable Nature
Many of the steam mops can be carried around. There are those with changeable ports, while others have removable handles allowing the user to change them into steamers that are held by hand.
The nature of these mops being portable is crucial for people whose spaces are tight as they can store them in small enclosures without the need to worry about space.
Portable Nature of steam mops is also one of the major benefits of using a steam mop.
8. Pet and Children Friendly
Steam mops have water instead of cleaning agents. Cleanings agents are mainly chemicals that are harmful both when ingested and even when they land on the skin of humans or animals.
The steam mop eliminates the need for the cleaning agents keeping the home environment safe for both children and pets.
Children and pets at most times do not know the composition of the cleaning agents and could easily play with them or ingest them which could lead to serious injuries or death.
9. Steam Cleaners are Cheaper in the Long Run
In addition to the health benefits of using a steam mop, using the steam form of cleaning can save a person a lot of money. The initial cost of purchase, water and electricity bills are the only expenses that are associated with the use of the steam mop.
The overall cost is cheaper in comparison to the cost of buying detergents, paying the people who do the cleaning and other cleaning products, using steam mops emerges to be a more cost-effective method of cleaning.
The above are just a number of the tips and benefits of using a steam mop for cleaning. The benefits of using a steam mop could at times be different for every individual, depending on the daily challenges that they face. Owing one could, in turn, let one know more about the steam mop and get to learn more about the benefits of using a steam mop in relation to personal challenges.
So, this was all from my side. Hope you are now aware of tips and benefits of using a steam mop. If you have any doubts or suggestions please comment down in the comment section. I’ll get back to you.
Thank you and have a nice day!